Tax Resources

Albert Einstein once said, “The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax.” Whether you agree or not, income tax season can be a stressful time, but the library is here to help! While library staff cannot prepare your taxes or provide guidance on what forms are needed, below is information to point you in the right direction that includes informative links and answers to frequently asked questions.

What is the deadline to file taxes?

The deadline to file federal and state income taxes is Monday, April 18, 2022.

How can I file an extension?

Before filing an extension, it’s important to keep in mind:

  • The additional time is only for the preparation of the tax forms, not the payment of taxes.
  • Estimate and pay any owed taxes by the standard deadline to avoid possible penalties.
  • An extension needs to be filed by Monday, April 18, 2022.

For more information about the federal income tax extension process, click here.
For more information about the Missouri income tax extension process, click here.

Where can I find the current 2021 tax forms?

The Missouri Department of Revenue is no longer providing printed forms, and forms must be printed online.

Federal tax forms can be printed online, ordered by form or picked up at any Christian County Library Branch location.

Online: Downloadable, fillable and/or printable forms

Delivered: Order paper forms to your home (federal only)

What types of tax forms are available at the library? 

The Christian County Library has copies of the following federal tax forms, while supplies last:

  •  2021 1040/1040SR form and 2021 1040/1040SR instruction booklets

We ask that patrons call ahead to ensure there are tax forms still available.

Can I print tax forms at the library?

Yes! State and federal tax forms can be printed off at $.10 per page from the appropriate website. 

Where can I find tax forms for previous years?

Past years of tax forms can be found online. The library does not have any on-paper copies of previous years’ forms.

Are there services to help me file my taxes? 

Yes! Free tax preparation services are available for individuals that meet specific criteria such as income level and active duty military. For more information, visit:

What if I don’t qualify for those free services?

For those that do not qualify for the above free tax preparation services, check out this list of other eFile tax service providers available, put together by the Missouri Department of Revenue.

I’ve filled out my tax forms. Where do I send them?

Federal and state tax forms are sent to different offices. Find out where to send yours here:

I want to know the status of my refund. Where do I go?

For federal and state refund status, visit:

If I received the Advanced Child Tax Credit in 2021, how does that affect my refund?

The IRS will be sending out letter 6419 in January, 2022 to everyone that received the Advanced Child Tax Credit. Information in the letter will be used to file 2021 tax forms and calculate the remaining refund. To learn more, visit Reconciling Your Advance Child Tax Credit Payments on Your 2021 Tax Return.

For more information or answers to other questions, please refer to the IRS’s 2021 Child Tax Credit and Advance Child Tax Credit Payments Frequently Asked Questions.

What do I need to do to file for Missouri’s Property Tax Credit? 

Also known as the “renters’ rebate,” the Missouri Property Tax Credit provides credit to certain senior citizens and individuals that are 100% disabled for a portion of their real estate taxes or rent they have paid for the year. To see if you qualify, look at this chart from the MO Dept of Revenue: Property Tax Credit Qualification Chart

  • If you are filing a 1040 or a 1040P, use this form: MO-PTS
  • If you are not required to file taxes, use this form: MO-PTC

For more information about the Property Tax Credit, click here.  

I’ve heard about scammers. What if I get a threatening call from someone claiming to be from the IRS?

If you know you don’t owe taxes or have no reason to believe that you do, report the incident to the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration and the Federal Trade Commission.